Did you know that green is the rarest of all eye colors in dogs? Most dogs have brown eyes and occasionally you might see a blue-eyed dog . Your pup’s eyes could also be hazel (green and brown pigment) or even have eyes with two different hues. However, true green eyes are something you won’t see on a daily basis. If your dog happens to be blessed with eyes of green then these green eyed dog names will be perfect for you.
The color green is often associated with nature, good fortune, tranquility, growth, health, and good luck. These green-eyed dog names encompass these qualities and are a great way to show off your dog’s unique appearance.
Why are Green Eyes so Rare?
Well, without getting too technical, green eyes are typically a result of a combination of low melanin concentration and a scattering of light due to the specific way the cells in the iris are arranged. This unique combination is relatively uncommon in dogs compared to other eye colors. Additionally, genetics play a significant role, and certain breeds are more likely to have green eyes due to specific genetic mutations or combinations.
The Most Popular Breeds known to occasionally have green eyes include:
It’s important to note that the presence of green eyes can vary even within a breed, as eye color is influenced by complex genetic factors.
- Siberian Husky: Known for their striking blue eyes, some Siberian Huskies can have green or even parti-colored (two different colored) eyes.
- Australian Shepherd: This breed is known for having a variety of eye colors, including green, due to their merle coat pattern. My Aussie, Maverick has hazel eyes and in some lights they appear to be a light green color.
- Border Collie: While most Border Collies have brown eyes, some individuals, especially those with the merle gene, can have green eyes.
- Great Dane: Occasionally, Great Danes may have green eyes, often in combination with a merle coat pattern.
- Dalmatian: Some Dalmatians, especially those with a blue eye gene, can have green eyes.
- Cocker Spaniel: Certain color variations of Cocker Spaniels, particularly those with merle or parti-color patterns, can have green eyes.
- American Bulldog: Green eyes can occasionally be found in American Bulldogs, particularly those with a merle gene.
- Irish Setter: Although less common, some Irish Setters may have green eyes.
- American Pit Bull Terrier: one of the only purebred dogs known to occasionally have green eyes.
You Might Also Like:
Choosing the perfect name can be hard. If you are still “up in the air” about choosing the right name, check out more of our dog name lists here.
The Best Dog Name Ideas for Green Eyed Pups
Green eyed Dog Names Inspired by Nature
The color green is one of the most common colors in nature. It’s no wonder the names on this list take so much inspiration from the lush green world around us. But, I think you’ll agree that nature makes some great names for green-eyed pups.
- Fern: Like the lush, green fern plants.
- Sage: A herb with grayish-green leaves. Sage is also a shade of green.
- Moss: Evokes the vibrant green of moss-covered surfaces.
- Basil: A flavorful herb with green leaves. My friend’s dog is named Basil and I always though it was such a cute name.
- Clover: A symbol of luck, often associated with green fields.
- Cypress: Inspired by the tall, evergreen trees.
- Forest: deep, lush green woods.
- Meadow: an open green field filled with flowers. I have always thought Meadow was such a pretty name.
- Briar: Evoking thorny green bushes and natural beauty. I always think of Briar Rose from the Disney movie, Sleeping Beauty so naturally, I’m sold on this name.
- Juniper: Named after the aromatic evergreen shrub. My mom’s neighbor has a dog named Juniper and it’s such a perfect dog name in my opinion.
More Nature-Inspired Dog Names
- Willow: Named after the graceful, weeping willow tree. Willow is becoming a very popular dog name so if that is not your thing, maybe try another name on this list. I do love it though.
- Kiwi: Named after the vibrant green fruit. Kiwi is such a cute and fitting name for a small size dog with green eyes.
- Ivy: The resilient plant that climbs and decorates walls with its lush green leaves.
- Matcha: Derived from the powdered green tea that’s celebrated for its distinct color and health benefits. I love that Matcha is such a unique dog name and perfect for tea lovers as well.
- Kale: Inspired by the vibrant and nutrient-packed leafy green vegetable, “Kale” is a name that embodies health and vitality.
- Pistachio: A light and delicate green, like pistachio nuts.
- Aurora: Inspired by the aurora borealis or most commonly referred to as the Northern Lights. These lights consist of stunning shades of green along the sky.
Green Names Inspired by Green Stones
Just as gemstones hold a kaleidoscope of captivating colors, these green names draw inspiration from the world of precious minerals. From the lush depths of emerald to the serene hues of jade, these names reflect the enchanting spectrum of green gemstones.
- Emerald: A precious gemstone known for its deep green color. This name always makes me think of Emerald City from The Wizard of Oz.
- Jade: Another beautiful green gemstone.
- Malachite: Known for its striking green banded patterns. Malachite would make a good name for a male dog.
- Gemma: Derived from the Latin word meaning “precious stone” or “jewel”
Green eyed Dog Names Inspired by Color
Colors evoke emotions and associations, and these names draw from the vibrant palette of greens found in our surroundings.
- Olive: Inspired by the rich green color of olives. A perfect choice for green-eyed dogs.
- Hazel: A name that would be a perfect fit for a dog whose eyes are a mix of green and brown hues.
- Chartreuse: A lively and vibrant yellow-green shade.
- Kelly: A bright and cheerful medium green.
- Hunter: A dark and intense green like a hunter’s attire.
You Might Also Like:
Bringing home a new puppy is such an exciting chapter. Why not make a dog bucket list with all the fun things you want to do together. Check out some great ideas to add to your list here.
Popular Names from Green Fictional Characters
Fictional characters often leave a lasting impact, and these names pay homage to iconic figures with a green connection.
- Grinch: If your dog’s birthday falls within the Christmas season, this would make such a cute name. Everyone knows this iconic character and will know exactly where your dog’s name came from.
- Yoda: The wise and iconic green Jedi Master from Star Wars. If you are a fan of the movies/shows, Yoda might be the perfect match.
- Hulk: The powerful and green Marvel superhero. This would make a suitable name for a dog with strong physical features.
- Kermit: The beloved green frog puppet from The Muppets.
- Fiona: The princess-turned-ogre from Shrek.
- Shrek: Who doesn’t love a movie about a green ogre?! This name exudes a sense of uniqueness and quirkiness just like the beloved character.
- Gumby: The iconic and timeless blocky green character made from clay.
Money Inspired Dog Names
What color do you instantly think about when you think of money? Yes, green is the iconic color for wealth.
- Buck: Short and snappy, “Buck” playfully nods to green dollar bills.
- Banks: The place where money is held. A fitting choice for a green-eyed companion who enriches your life in countless ways.
- Cash: The common word used for money.
So there you have it, a kaleidoscope of green-eyed dog names that are anything but ordinary. From the lush outdoors to fictional favorites, these names capture the essence of your unique pup and their bright green eyes. Remember, a name is just the beginning of the adventures you’ll share together.